Friday, January 16, 2015

Overview

As I look through the books, portfolios, resources, storybooks and videos, there's one thing that comes to mind, I HAVE NEVER SEEN OR DONE ANY OF THIS BEFORE IN MY LIFE.  Everything is unfamiliar, but isn't that in some way part of the college experience?  Seeing, doing and experiencing things completely out of your comfort zone.  Needless to say my curiosity is intrigued by all the possibilities of a storybook.  

The only previous exposure I have to Indian culture is watching Slumdog Millionaire and a Bollywood movie entitled Kuch Naa Kaho.  (And I'd highly recommend both movies.)  This is my first time to take a class that is focused around traditional epics but I have read many just for fun.  I'm a BIG fan of Greek mythology and I'm sure I will be drawings connections from Indian Epics to Greek Epics frequently in this class.   

I have no association with Indian or East Asian culture.  Unfortunately, I have never traveled to that side of the globe.  However, this image caught my eye while exploring the website, I recognized that the name of one of the gods, Brahma, is a very similar to the name of the highest Hindu social caste, Brahmin.  I'm guessing that in some epics of India that Brahma must be a powerful god.  I know about the social caste system because of discussions in school as well as peers I went to high school with telling me that they were from the Brahmin caste.   

(Image Information: Picture of Indian deities from Wikipedia.)



No comments:

Post a Comment